Saturday, March 14, 2009

Rewatching Season One with S5 eyes

102:
Sawyer: "This guy [Sayid] was sitting in the back row of business class, the whole flight, never got up ... hands folded underneath the blanket [just like he was on Ajira Flight 316] ... the guy sittin' next to him didn't make it" .... [just like Marshall Edward Mars "didn’t make it"]

Sawyer: "Fine! I'm the criminal. You're the terrorist. We can all play a part. [to Shannon] Who do you want to be?"
To me, this is a hint that some part of Sawyer knew (or remembered) that he and his friends were "chosen" to play "roles" ... in a Game.

SAWYER: [grabbing Kate's arm] I know your type.
KATE: I'm not so sure.
SAWYER: Yeah. I've been with girls like you.
KATE: No girl's exactly like me.

This suggests that our Losties are in some ways similar (but not identical) to either their predecessors in previous Iterations of The Game OR are similar but not identical to previous versions of themselves. This of course suggests that the personalities of our Losties have been "edited" over many Iterations. The "Alice in Wonderland" excerpt that Jack read to Aaron hinted as much:
"I wonder if I've been changed in the night. Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? But if I'm not the same, the next question is, 'Who in the world am I’?"
Changed in the night. Edited while unconscious. How "real" are the memories and experiences of our Losties? Are they all unconscious somewhere in some "Matrix"-type of Alternate Reality? I hope not.

103:
Marshall to Kate: "You really are one of a kind" - which supports the above

Note that Jack murdered The Marshall to put him out of his misery and was respected, not hated or despised for his action. I think that Ben’s "murder" of Locke in 507 should be viewed at least as charitably as Jack’s murder.

104:
Kate: "Who says this is my first time boar hunting?" Who indeed? How many times has she gone boar-hunting in previous Iterations?

Note that our first view of "Christian" was not standing in the ocean, but standing on-shore by a tree.

The black slip-on shoes that Locke puts on as soon as he realises he’s regained the use of his legs appear to be the same shoes that he was wearing in his coffin.

No comments:

Post a Comment